I’d like to take a moment to fix some issues with Raspbmc introduced by the September update and cover a couple of things.
Support for WiFi dongles
With the new kernel update, some Atheros chipsets stopped working. I’ve re-added the modules back in to the kernel, so these adapters should start working again. Furthermore, it came to my attention some users were using a TP-LINK WN725N V2 adapter. Raspbmc never supported this out of box, and this required users to install their own kernel module. I’ve fixed this by adding support for 8188EU chipsets into the Raspbmc kernel. I’ve also added support to our installer, so you can install Raspbmc using this WiFi dongle as well.
Terratec Elonics E4000
I hear users have had low signal / poor reception when using this device, and I’ve done my best to resolve this by backporting a patch that should hopefully rectify this issue. If it doesn’t, let me know
Issue mounting CIFS shares
Due to changes in the kernel upstream, Linux now expects NTLMV2 security when mounting CIFS shares. I’ve reversed this functionality and reverted back to standard NTLM negotiation. You would have only seen this issue if you were mounting shares through fstab or the mount command. This was introduced by this commit to the Linux kernel upstream. My profuse apologies for letting it slip.
Fixes to our initramfs
Some users will have been incorrectly told to verify their power supply and overclock settings, then have their system boot anyway. This was a bug in the initramfs that caused this message to be displayed and this has been fixed. Furthermore, UUID label based booting is fixed as well: the logic in the initramfs was broken and this was causing issues preventing us even parsing the UUID. I’ve also fixed an issue when invoking filesystem checks so now Raspbmc will truly be able to fix the filesystem in the event of corruption.
PulseAudio and USB DAC support
Some of you have asked for an official statement on this, so I thought I’d make it.
I’ve tried over the last couple of months to restore our Pulse Audio implementation back into Raspbmc, but something in XBMC Frodo caused it to no longer function properly. The work was very much a hack anyway — combining OMX and DVDPlayer clocks. I contacted the upstream XBMC AudioEngine developer fritsch who was very helpful, however he notably points out that in XBMC 13 AudioEngine is very different, and it does not make sense to try and resolve these issues on Frodo. For now I can only suggest that you use an April build from Raspbmc Settings if you must use Pulse Audio, and that I am not sure when, or what state, Pulse Audio will return to Raspbmc in
Still to fix: Boblight
There is an issue with SPI that I am struggling to understand at the moment. I have resolved an issue where debugging would spam the syslog (this may have caused some IO performance issues for users), however I’ve still to chase down where the issue is. Thanks to Dilligaf for assisting with testing.
Update: Boblight is now fixed. Just reboot your Pi to get the fix. New installs won’t require this.
As usual, I’d like to thank the testing team (especially ActionA) for their help
I hope this clears things up. To get the fixes for share mounting, WiFi adapter support, reception improvements and initramfs fixes, just reboot your Raspberry Pi to get the kernel update.